GM League  

Go Back   GM League > Forums > Football

Football NFL, NCAA, CFL, AFL, UFL, USFL, and even Fantasy Football, Pickem, Survivour, & Suicide games

Old 08-22-2017, 05:17 PM

Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
jalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Jalexj's Oklahoma State Thread

Howdy,

I'll be using this thread to actually put pen to paper for all of the thoughts I have about Oklahoma State's Football Season in 2018. The primary project I'll be recording is my season long battle of attempting to scout QB Mason Rudolph, while at the same depending on Mason to shoulder the mounting weight of my entire morale for this fall. Passing off to him any responsibility I have for the relationship I have, the stories I will make this fall, and the grades or publications that will follow me for the rest of my life; all is truly at the mercy of our #2.

As I, and everyone else on this site loves to do though, will be scouting Mason for the NFL Draft in the Spring, I thought it would be fun and a good resource for myself to write down all of my instant reactions, analysis, along with brief diary entries from how I felt during plays to how these performances were affecting me personally(not that anyone cares, I'm purely counting on being in the company of others that have hit rock bottom). Last season, of Oklahoma State's 13 games, I attended 11. I only missed out on @Baylor and @Kstate, which meant I made road trips to Norman, Lawrence, Fort Worth, and San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl. This year's road slate is much tougher to make it on the road too, so I probably won't be able to match that. However, I am still a student, so every home game is a lock plus I'll probably be traveling somewhere.

I'll be recording some other miscellaneous OSU thoughts here, along with probably some mock drafts and some scouting my schools other pro prospects (James Washington, Trey Flower, maybe more). Feel free to comment, chime in, tell me how I'm wrong, give constructive counter analysis, or kick me when I'm down. Love it all.

Today the idea is to give a light background at where Mason's starting point is for this season by doing very brief reviews of every game last season. We could go back farther, but he was genuinely really impressive in his 3 games his Freshmen year with the advantage of no one having tape on him, and his sophomore year he was played well for a team that was totally dependent on him until he he got hurt against Baylor, played one drive against OU, and the debacle of an embarrassment in the Sugar Bowl against Ole Miss. Essentially the only thing that had been established was that Mason passed the eye test for an NFL prospect without examining any of the details. Jr years was where the true scouting experience would begin. Soooooo, to get started...

SE LA

Skip, we're not gonna waste our time breaking down what is basically the preseason. Tape for this game isn't available on draft breakdown, Cowboys won 61-7, and I'm sure Mason did fine.

Central Michigan

Did I say we were going to skip the preseason? Well, good thing we were facing an undefeated Chippewas team! It's always a good test of facing a real team but not someone that could beat you by facing the best directional Michigan school.... what? Neither half of that was right? Well, even though we didn't technically win the game, we really did win the game.... Yeah, yeah, yeah, why is anybody even in that position. Well, I guess let's take a look.

Where he's at before the 2016 season's first game: For most people that go back and watch Rudolph tape this is going to be the first game they look at, which sucks because *spoiler* that would make it probably the last game of his they check out too. But seconds into the tape you can tell this a QB with the height, frame, and zip on the ball to at least warrant your consideration. A few more seconds you in you realize that Mason is almost completely stationary in the pocket. I mean this is as a positive. Yes, he's still bouncing and keeping active feet, but Mason isn't breaking the pocket unnecessarily... ever. He's a true pro style passer and whether or not he has the skills to be good in the pros, he has the pro mentality of a passer that is the most confident staying inside the pocket. 2016 had Kizer and Kaaya who were also pure pocket passers, and each of the was in a more pro-friendly system, so Mason was kind of a dark horse prospect going into the season.

Summary

Mason was not single handedly to blame for losing this game. There was some terrible timing on play calls, bad defense, and a lot of dropped passes. Having said that... Mason was the key to everything. He displayed lack of touch (which should be shown below) on short balls, really making it difficult for his receivers to run after the catch, his deep balls were terribly short all game, he was constantly floating balls thrown over the middle, and he could not find the touch to make a pass in the redzone to save his life. Only his shear ability of the baseline accuracy any big program QB should have and the athleticism of his receivers got him the lead in the game. While of course there were flashes, this shows what most of the game was like.

The Summarizing Play:

The Bad:

One hell of an Incompletion:

A Flash:
The Following User Says Thank You to jalexjsmithj For This Useful Post:
Patrick Mahomes is God (08-23-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 05:50 PM

jalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of light

Pitt

Game Summary

The rebound game and Mason was clicking. This game showed a QB that could perfectly weight deep ball. Sure, not every one was completed, but it was a clinic on where to put most of them. He showed some bad decision making this game, and the issues with touch on short range passes were another problem. But this has got to be one of Mason's games to show off, not only did he show himself to possess elite deep ball accuracy, he also threw multiple pinpoint out routes across the field. This is also when Mason's tendency to put that much arc under his deep balls is truly understood. While this game it works out for him all day, this can be foreshadowing a problem.

Summarizing Plays:

Those are 2 deep passes that could not be more in stride.

Flashes:

The Bad

Old 08-23-2017, 02:52 AM
Youtube NFL Draft Wannabe

Groans: 25
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Patrick Mahomes is God is a name known to allPatrick Mahomes is God is a name known to allPatrick Mahomes is God is a name known to allPatrick Mahomes is God is a name known to allPatrick Mahomes is God is a name known to allPatrick Mahomes is God is a name known to all

This is very cool. I think OK St will finish ahead of OU personally. That offense has some real firepower this year and maybe a real NFL QB.

The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick Mahomes is God For This Useful Post:
jalexjsmithj (08-23-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 01:31 PM

@Baylor

Summary
Despite this game being a loss, I think this is one of Rudolph's better game's of the season. This is the first time in the 2017 Rudolph showed real grit, and ability to pull his team back into game through sheer will. Baylor did a great job completely eliminating Oklahoma State's deep ball this game, a challenge no other team really managed to do this season. It was interesting to see how Rudolph handled taking what the defense gave him. We did see an improvement in Rudolph's touch on short throw's, but we also saw him struggle to identify the open man without the safety blanket of the go route, and struggle in the redzone. However, I came out of this game sensing a guy with NFL accuracy and NFL level aggressiveness, and that combo of skills alone makes this a game a positive in Rudolph's tape.

The Goods:

The Bads:

The Grit:

The Following User Says Thank You to jalexjsmithj For This Useful Post:
dgfred (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 01:59 PM

Texas

Summary:
The team-wide defining feature for Oklahoma State in the Texas game was offensive line breakdowns (horrendous pass blocking by the RBs is also present). Rudolph was hurried all day and took a lot of sacks, and while one minor criticism of Rudolph in the early part of the season was him holding onto the ball too long, no sack could be attributed to Rudolph. The pressure affected Rudolph's touch passes, but it also highlighted a couple of skills I haven't touched on much yet. One of Rudolph's most underappreciated skills is his hands pre-snap, he looks like a magician using slight of hand. While he does make adjustments at the LOS, the way he mixes in hand movement draws a lot of off-sides and keeps defenders very unbalanced while anticipating the snap. He's also very talented in the hurry up and a QB that uses rhythm well, but this may foreshadow struggles for when their is no rhythm to be found.

Good:

BadGIF has 2 plays)

Old 08-31-2017, 03:05 PM

The Great Plains Games:
Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas.

I'm starting to hear the whispers of "homer, homer" as I post more games. Well that's about to change as the Cowboys face the middle of the middle of the country in 3 consecutive contests. I apologize about less coverage for these 3 games, but they aren't posted to Draft Breakdown and I'm using the original uncut tape and GIF maker doesn't like videos over 20 minutes.

Iowa State

Some questionable play calling started the game, as there were several drives in the first half of the game where the Cowboys ran it 3 times and then punted on 4th and 1. Then the panic set in, as Iowa State started to go up and all of Mason's passes were behind the receivers allowing the defenders to constantly get deflections on passes. When the Cowboys punted on 4th and 5 at the 50 down 31-14 and 6 minutes left to go in the third, panic mode was in full effect. Rudolph looked disinterested all game, and a lot of the good will that had been built through effort was eroded in this game. He also really struggled with his progression and staying the pocket too long and taking unnecessary hits that left balls uncatchable for the wideouts. Alas, the Cowboys did turn it around, Mason through an okay long ball to a wide open James Washington and had some very nice touch passes to Jalen McClesky helped the Cowboys pulled through.

Kansas State

How much credit do you get for bailing your team out of trouble when you're the primary reason they are in trouble? That's what Mason wanted to find out against Kansas State. Kansas State played great defense to start the game, eliminating wide go route while having those playing under playing hyper aggressive and jumping several routes. Rudolph was missing all of his intermediate routes, and had all of his shallow routes jumped or thrown into the ground to prevent them from being jumped. It resulted in one of, if not the worst throws of the year for Mason resulting in an interception. This game really emphasized a troubling theme in Rudolph's game; when he misses, he misses high. And missing high over the middle in the NFL will get the ball turned over 99% of the time. Only a rumbling run game and some creative play calling getting Blake Jarwin wide open in the weird "Cowboy Back" hybrid TE position got the Cowboys out of this game.

Kansas

Finally, in the KU game Rudolph really offered nothing. He took several coverage sacks which was disappointing, and while he did complete several deep balls, they were elite skill players at the college level getting wide open and Rudolph just hitting the open man. He wasn't leading the receivers, in fact most of the time he was slowing them down or turning passes into jump balls that should of been clear of defenders. OSU's run game was once again the champion of this game.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:13 PM

West Virginia

The Mountaineers had a great defense last year, and Rudolph started slow because of it, the Mountaineers were able to contest all of the Cowboys short routes really well. Then the Cowboys started to just use their bigger receivers to just post up on slant routes, creating a big target and shield that the WVU corners couldn't get through. This got Rudolph in a groove and then a flood of touch passes were present in the rest of that game....

To be finished, gotta go tailgate! Go Pokes!
Old 09-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
IBleedBlackNGold is a jewel in the roughIBleedBlackNGold is a jewel in the roughIBleedBlackNGold is a jewel in the rough

Any chance you're going to the Pitt game in two weeks? Our projected NFL 1st round Safety Jordan Whitehead (he went to my same high school and was coached by one of my best friends) is suspended for it but I'm hoping Narduzzi changes his mind after Pitt gets their asses kicked to Penn State next week (PSU is my favorite team...Pitt, ND, and FSU all tied for #2).
Old 09-02-2017, 04:23 PM

Ugh Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedBlackNGold View Post
Any chance you're going to the Pitt game in two weeks? Our projected NFL 1st round Safety Jordan Whitehead (he went to my same high school and was coached by one of my best friends) is suspended for it but I'm hoping Narduzzi changes his mind after Pitt gets their asses kicked to Penn State next week (PSU is my favorite team...Pitt, ND, and FSU all tied for #2).

I hope so, I gotta work it out with my Thesis Advisor cuz I have deadlines on the 15th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk